I need to make a claim, what do I do?
In the event of an emergency you should first call our 24 hour Emergency Helpline
+ 44 (0) 203 126 4134.
This number is also featured in your Terms and Conditions booklet.
For all other claims and to obtain a claim form please telephone our Claims Helpline on
0203 126 4135 (Monday – Friday 8am to 8pm Saturday 8am – 5pm).
You will need to give:
- Your name,
- Your Policy Number which can be found at the top of your Certificate of Insurance,
- Brief details of your claim.
Submit your claim online
You can complete your non-emergency travel insurance claim online
(by clicking here you will be taken to our online Claims pages hosted by AXA Travel Insurance, who will use the information that you supply to assess your American Express Travel Insurance claim).
Alternatively you can email our Claims team at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will need to provide:
- Your name,
- Your Policy Number found at the top of your Certificate of Insurance,
- Your address including the postcode,
- The section under which you wish to make a claim.
In any instance we ask that you notify us within 28 days of you becoming aware of an incident or loss leading to a claim and you return your completed claim form and any additional information to us as soon as possible.
How can I save time when submitting a claim?
Our Teleclaims process can help you save time and effort. Simply call 0203 126 4135, where our claims handler will take you through the details of your claim and complete all necessary forms on your behalf. If you do not have all necessary information to hand, you will be advised of the required documentation and we will arrange a call back, at a time convenient for you.
In many cases, Teleclaims can be settled during the initial call and closed within 10 working days of being submitted.
Things that may delay your claim
The length of time taken to settle a claim depends on each individual case. However settlement of your claim can be delayed for several reasons, most commonly:
- Incorrect information being provided during any stage of the claim call. Full and accurate details of your claim need to be provided when calling the claims helpline.
- As with every insurance policy, there are limits and exclusions or situations which are not covered. To avoid unnecessary disappointment and delays in processing eligible claims please take time to understand what cover is provided by your travel insurance policy before you travel and before you make a claim. The appropriate section in your Policy Terms and Conditions booklet will show you what is, and is not covered, and any conditions, limitations and exclusions.
- Certain aspects of your travel insurance cover may require documentation to substantiate your claim. You should check the section under which you are claiming for any specific conditions and details of any supporting evidence you need to provide to us. We require original documentation; photocopies will not be accepted and can lead to a delay in the settlement of your claim. If requested by the claims handler, please send original documentation together with your claim reference number to:
AXA Assistance Claims Service
P.O Box 54098
It is always advisable to keep copies of all the documents that you send to us.
Top 5 tips to help you submit your claim
- If an item of your property is lost or stolen while you are on holiday please remember that you must always obtain a police report. If this is not feasible try your hotel management, your travel representative, your villa owner/ management – someone in authority who can vouch for the incident and put it in writing for you.
- If your baggage does not appear on the carousel, ensure you go directly to the airside airline desk, or their representative to report your loss. You will then need to obtain a Property Irregularity Report (PIR) to submit to us with your claim. You will not be able to get a PIR once you have left the airport so please report it as soon as possible and before leaving the airport building.
- In addition to this, when your baggage is delayed try to obtain written confirmation of when it is delivered back to you to show the length of your baggage delay, allowing us to correctly reimburse you.
- In the unfortunate event that you have to cancel a trip, you are entitled to a refund of taxes from airlines. You will need to specifically request this from the airline otherwise as they may not proactively offer to refund this to you. You should also obtain confirmation of the amount of refund given.
- Make sure that you keep a copy of your booking invoice or e-ticket for your trip as you will need to submit this when making a claim.
Who is your Emergency Assistance company?
AXA Assistance GmbH, Garmischer Straße 8-10, D-80339, Munich, Germany. Registered Number: HRB81954.